Instructors play a vital role in providing accommodations to students.
Each semester, students are responsible for presenting their accommodation notice to instructors and discussing how accommodations will be implemented in the course. Instructors should be prepared to:
Step 1: Meet with students privately during office hours or by appointment to discuss how each accommodation will be provided in the course
Step 2: If indicated on the accommodation notice and requested by the student:
- Arrange note takers on behalf of the student and/or allow audio recording of lectures or use of technology for note-taking (use of Tegrity is also recommended)
- Develop a plan for providing testing accommodations.
- If you instruct students to schedule their tests at the ODS Testing Center, a plan should be in place for providing testing accommodations in the event that the ODS Testing Center is booked to capacity.
- Complete the Attendance Modification Agreement with the student, thinking through how attendance modifications and make-up work can be offered.
Step 3: Document your meetings with students, or ask students to send you a follow-up email regarding the accommodations discussed.
- If a student verbalizes that an accommodation is not needed in the course, instructors may want to make a note of this when returning the Receipt of Accommodation Notice form to ODS.
Contact ODS with any questions or concerns regarding accommodations.
- Maintain the student’s confidentiality. Only share information about a student’s use of accommodations on a need-to-know basis.