Prospective Students

The Office of Admissions handles all applications for undergraduate admission to the University. Admissions standards are described in The University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog and must be met by all students, regardless of disability.

Applications for admission to graduate programs are handled by the Graduate School Office, in accordance with standards described in The University of Alabama Graduate Catalog. Scores from nonstandard administration of entrance examinations are acceptable on the same basis as scores from standard administration of those tests.

Prospective students are encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Services (ODS) for information regarding services for students with disabilities. All disability-related documentation should be sent directly to ODS, not to the Office of Admissions.

Students interested in registering with ODS should review the Documentation Requirements page to determine the correct documents to submit.

Core Curriculum

The University Core Curriculum provides the foundation for every undergraduate degree program at The University of Alabama, and must be met by all students, regardless of disability. The Core Curriculum is described in the UA Undergraduate Catalog and in each semester’s Schedule of Classes.

New Student Orientation

The Office of Admissions offers orientation sessions (“Bama Bound”) for entering undergraduate and transfer students. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact ODS during orientation. Students who need accommodations during orientation should contact the Orientation Programs Office to make their needs known at least two (2) weeks in advance of their scheduled orientation session.

Placement Tests

For information about placement assessments, including details about math placement using SAT or ACT scores, go to the Placement Assessments website.  Students who decide they wish to take the math placement assessment instead of using SAT or ACT scores can request disability-related accommodations on the test.  Documentation supporting the need for accommodation must be submitted to ODS. After review of the documentation, ODS personnel will send a memo to the Office of Testing and Data Management Services authorizing test accommodations, provided the documentation is sufficient. Math assessments are no longer offered during Bama Bound but must be taken online at least one week prior to the student’s Bama Bound session.  Please note: ODS will accept Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and/or 504 plans as documentation for placement test accommodations only.


Links of Interest to Parents and Students

Know Your Rights and Responsibilities: Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education

HEATH Resource Center at George Washington University: Website of the National Clearinghouse on Postsecondary Education for Individuals with Disabilities

Financial Aid Resources

2014-2015 HEATH NYTC Planning Ahead: Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities

College Funding for Students with Disabilities

UA Financial Aid