Student Resources

Office of Disability Services

ODS is the central contact point for students with disabilities at UA. Services for students focus upon providing accommodations and services to help meet University demands, while promoting student responsibility and self-advocacy.

Students who choose not to self-identify when they enter UA do not forfeit their right to identify themselves and to receive accommodations at a later date. However, UA is not obligated to provide accommodations or services for students with disabilities until students are registered with ODS. Students must also make known their need for accommodations each semester.

ODS is located at 1000 Houser Hall. ODS can be reached at (205) 348-4285 (Voice) or (205) 348-3081 (TTY). Documentation can be faxed to ODS at (205) 348-0804. ODS is open Monday through Friday (except University holidays), from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services (ADRS) assists eligible students with disabilities in their pursuit of employment goals. Services provided by ADRS may include vocational evaluation and counseling, tuition assistance, and job placement assistance. The ADRS counselor at UA is located at 1091 Houser Hall (in the ODS building) and can be reached at (205) 348-5317. Vocational rehabilitation clients should maintain regular contact with the counselor in their hometown, the counselor on campus, and ODS personnel.

Although ADRS provides services for residents of the state of Alabama only, students from out of state should note that vocational rehabilitation programs are mandated by the Federal government and each state must have such a program. Out of state students are encouraged to contact their local vocational rehabilitation offices to see if they are eligible for assistance while pursuing their degree at UA. In other states, the program may be called by different names, including Office of Rehabilitation Services, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, or others. For assistance in locating your state’s program, contact ODS.

Student Support Services

Student Support Services, 225 Osband Hall, is a Federally-funded program which provides academic assistance to students who fall within any of three eligibility categories: financial need, first-generation college student, or students with disabilities. Reading and study skills classes, academic counseling and tutoring, and assistance with financial aid applications are provided for eligible students.

Student Health Center

The Student Health Center (SHC) serves all students with routine medical needs. Students may be able to receive certain treatments related to a disability at SHC. Students should note that SHC has stringent requirements for documentation of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) which must be met before medications for this disorder can be prescribed by SHC physicians.

Library Access and Assistance

The University Libraries may be contacted during business hours to ensure access to library collections and services. Special services include telephone reference and research help, retrieval of materials, assistance with photocopying and scanning, assistance with submitting interlibrary loan requests,library orientation, special check-out arrangements, and extended loan periods for reserved materials.

Study Abroad

The Education Abroad office assists students in pursuing educational opportunities all over the globe. Students with disabilities who are interested in studying abroad are encouraged to contact Education Abroad to learn about available opportunities, and should also contact their Accommodation Specialist to discuss their access needs upon applying to a study abroad program.


Special blue zone parking areas are available for students who are certified as eligible for accessible parking by their home state. Students with disabilities may obtain a blue zone parking permit by presenting a copy of their state certification to the Parking Services Office in the Campus Drive Parking Deck.

Residential Life

Housing and Residential Communities provides a variety of double and single rooms in residence halls and on-campus apartments for students with disabilities. Some rooms are equipped for students with hearing, vision, or mobility impairments. Other adaptations may be arranged if adequate notice is given. Students should contact Housing and Residential Communities as early as possible if they have disability-related housing needs.

Campus Accessibility

Classes are scheduled in accessible locations whenever possible. If a classroom, activity, or program is not accessible to a student who needs access to that classroom, activity or program, the student is responsible for notifying ODS. ODS can then move the location, reschedule the class or activity, or arrange for some other reasonable accommodation.

Seating for Athletic Events

Wheelchair seating areas are available at Bryant-Denny Stadium and Coleman Coliseum. Also, FM amplification systems are available for patrons with hearing impairments. Contact the Athletic Ticket Office in Coleman Coliseum for information.


Financial Aid Resources

College Funding for Students with Disabilities

UA Financial Aid