Temporary Impairments

The office of Disability Services may offer limited services to students with temporary impairments. Temporary refers to injuries or illnesses having an expected duration of less than one semester. If illnesses or injuries are expected to last longer than one semester, students should review the appropriate documentation requirements.

Step 1 : Submit Documentation:

Students must submit documentation of their illness or injury. Documentation must be provided by the treating physician and include:

  • diagnosis
  • functional limitations experienced by the student as a result of the illness or injury
  • expected duration and prognosis
  • suggestions as to how the illness or injury might be accomodated

Submit documentation in one of the following ways:

  • E-mail: ods@ua.edu
  • Fax: (205) 348-0804
  • Mail: Office of Disability Services
    Box 870185
    Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0185
  • Personal Delivery: 1000 Houser Hall

Step 3: Schedule an Appointment

Students must meet with an accommodations specialist. Students may make this appointment by phone at (205) 348-4285, or in person with reception staff. During this appointment, appropriate academic accommodations will be discussed.

Step 4: Request Accommodation Letters

Following the meeting with an accommodations specialist, students may request accommodation letters.

Step 5: Meet with Instructor

Students must present letters to instructors and meet with them to discuss the accommodations in order for accommodations to be applied and be protected by Federal Disability Laws.

Limitations of ODS Assistance for Students with Temporary Impairments

  1. ODS has no means of providing transportation to/from class.
  2. ODS does not notify instructors of student absences, nor do we provide excuses for absences.
    Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Care and Well-Being for assistance in notifying instructors of absences related to the temporary impairment.
    Student Care and Well-Being:
    (205) 348-2461
  3. ODS does not lend or otherwise provide durable medical equipment to any student (i.e., wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, motorized scooters.)