Register with ODS
Students who wish to request academic accommodations must self-identify to ODS, complete an application, and submit disability documentation. ODS staff are trained to evaluate disability documentation in combination with the student’s self-report in order to determine eligibility for accommodations.
Students are encouraged to begin the registration process upon being accepted and committing to attend the University of Alabama. There is no deadline by which registration with ODS must be completed, although we encourage students to be proactive and register as soon as possible.
The registration process can be completed entirely online.
1: Consult Documentation Guidelines
ODS can provide academic accommodations for:
- Cognitive disabilities (ADHD, learning disorders, traumatic brain injury)
- Psychiatric disabilities (anxiety, depression, Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Medical disabilities (any chronic condition)
- Hearing and vision loss
- Mobility limitations
Review our documentation guidelines and share with your treating provider or evaluator.
2: Complete ODS Application
Log in to the ODS Online Portal with your MyBama username and password to complete a brief application.
- Click on New Student Application and log in using your MyBama credentials.
- Answer the application questions and click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- You will receive a confirmation email to your Crimson email account and will automatically be redirected to a page where you can upload documentation (this link is also included in the confirmation email). Please upload any relevant documentation files. For more information on what type of documentation to submit to ODS, please review our Documentation Guidelines.
- Your confirmation email will provide further instructions. Applications are not processed until documentation has been submitted. Please contact us if you have questions or concerns.
3: Upload Documentation
Use the portal to upload documentation as a PDF, which is the preferred method. Alternatively, you may use the following:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please send a PDF)
- Fax: 205-348-0804
- Mail: Office of Disability Services, Box 870185, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0185
- In-person: Houser Hall 1000
If additional documentation is needed, you will be notified via Crimson email.
4: Meet with Accommodations Specialist
After submitting documentation, your confirmation email will provide instructions to request an appointment online, or call ODS to schedule an appointment. You will meet with an Accommodations Specialist who will talk with you about the impact of your disability and any accommodations you wish to request. Policies and procedures related to accommodations will also be reviewed.
5: Send Accommodation Letters
Use the ODS Online Portal to send Accommodation Letters to instructors, outlining the accommodations you are eligible to receive in each course.
6: Meet with Instructors
Meet briefly with instructors during office hours or by appointment to discuss a plan for receiving accommodations in each course. Instructors cannot begin providing accommodations until you have communicated your needs.
7: Follow up with ODS as Needed
Regularly check the ODS Online Portal and your Crimson email for important reminders. Promptly contact your Accommodations Specialist if you have questions or concerns. The ODS Student Handbook also contains additional details.