ODS strives to implement accommodations for distance learners in a manner consistent with that of resident students. Requests for accommodation from distance learners require the same level of disclosure and follow the same procedures as resident students.
Students who wish to register with ODS for the purpose of requesting academic accommodations may do so by following the procedure below.
- Consult the documentation requirements and submit documentation to ODS in a timely manner. Once you have been accepted into a distance education program, you may proceed with submitting your documentation.
- ODS will confirm via email that your documentation has been received, and will include instructions for scheduling an appointment with an Accommodations Specialist. For distance learners, appointments can occur via Zoom virtual meeting.
- Prior to your appointment, your Accommodations Specialist will review your documentation and notify you via email whether additional documentation is needed.
- At the agreed upon date and time, your Accommodations Specialist will initiate the Zoom meeting, and it is best if you can plan to be in a quiet, uninterrupted location during the appointment. The impact of your disability will be discussed and reasonable accommodations will be agreed upon, then relevant policies and procedures will be reviewed.
- At the conclusion of the appointment, you will be instructed to complete and submit electronically the Release of Information and Request for Accommodation Letters. Once these completed documents are received, ODS will provide an accommodation notice to you via email.
- It is your responsibility to forward a copy of the accommodation notice to your instructor(s) and discuss the implementation of accommodations. Distance learners should follow protocols for contacting instructors based on information provided in the syllabus regarding email or phone communication, virtual office hours, etc. Accommodations are not retroactive and cannot be implemented until instructors have received an accommodation notice and implementation has been discussed.
- To request accommodation notices for subsequent semesters of course enrollment in distance education courses, you should complete the Request for Accommodation Letters form and submit via email (email@example.com) or fax (205-348-0804) approximately 1 to 2 weeks prior to the start of the academic term.
- Any questions or concerns regarding accommodations should be discussed promptly with your Accommodations Specialist, who is available via phone or email.
This information is also available in PDF format.
For more information about online and distance degrees, please visit Bama by Distance.