Center for Academic Success (CAS)
The CAS is located in Osband Hall. For schedules and appointments, visit the Center for Academic Success website.
According to their website, the Center for Academic Success offers the following services:
- Learning Resource Lab – Provides students with access to materials and resources. Computer programs and other digitized media (including lectures on many UA courses) are available to students, as well as review materials for students preparing to take graduate and professional school entrance exams.
- Tutorial Assistance – Individual Tutorial Appointments are offered for selected classes in math, chemistry, physics, statistics, economics, biology, accounting and foreign languages. Supplemental Instruction Sessions offer students the opportunity to integrate study strategies with specific course content. Small Group Tutorial Appointments are peer-led sessions available to students in select courses.
- Review and Help Sessions – Available to students for a variety of math, chemistry, and physics classes. These sessions are available for students to drop-in to ask questions and seek assistance.
- Reading and Study Skills Workshops – Offered to help students improve and build skill sets they need to be successful. Staff can also provide a study skills assessment to students on an individual basis.
Instructors from the UA English Department staff the Writing Center. The Writing Center provides individual assistance in developing the composition skills necessary to complete University coursework. The Writing Center is located in 322 Lloyd Hall. View their hours or make an appointment through the Writing Center website.
Career Counseling is provided by the Career Center. Visit their main office in 3400 Ferguson Center or visit one of their satellite locations: Career Center at Culverhouse, 250 Bidgood Hall; Career Center at C&IS, 190 Tisch Student Services in Reese Phifer Hall; or the engineering satellite office in 105 Bevill Hall.
Applied Tutoring is an independent, paid tutoring service located on campus in 103 AIME Building. For course listings, fees, and appointments, visit the Applied Tutoring website.
According to their website, Applied Tutoring offers the following services:
- 1-on-1 Sessions – Individual sessions allow students to master concepts, receive help with homework, and prepare for exams with a tutor.
- LSAT, GMAT, GRE, ACT, SAT Prep – For students looking to enter an undergraduate or graduate program, coaches provide a disciplined practice and study regimen.
- Crimson Crash Course – Group sessions are offered for larger classes such as Introductory Chemistry, Prerequisite Business, Computer, Math or Engineering classes. They are offered the week of the exam by a tutor who lectures for two hours over test material. Sample review problems are worked during the session, at which time students can ask questions.
Tutor Doctor is an independent, paid tutoring service located in the Tuscaloosa area. For subject listings, fees, and appointments, visit the Tutor Doctor website.
According to their website, Tutor Doctor offers the following services:
- 1-on-1 College Tutoring– Tutor Doctor will match you with a trained professional tutor, who will meet with you in your own home. Receive tailored tutoring to improve your study skills, learn test strategies and skills, and receive help on research and term papers. Tutoring is offered in all subjects and is custom tailored to your needs.
- ACT, SAT Prep – Based on an assessment test, Tutor Doctor will customize an ACT or SAT Preparation study plan to meet your specific academic needs.