Student Responsibilities in Securing Academic Accommodations:
- Request accommodation letters from ODS at the BEGINNING of each semester.
- Deliver accommodation letters to instructors and discuss the requested accommodations. Be aware that accommodations are not retroactive. Instructors must be provided with letters AT LEAST ONE WEEK BEFORE you need an accommodation.
- Arrange accommodations with your instructors. You should confirm with each instructor how accommodations will be provided.
- IMMEDIATELY notify your accommodations specialist if you experience problems in receiving accommodations, or if you feel you have been discriminated against.
Initiating Classroom Accommodations with Instructors
When presenting your request for accommodations to your course instructors, please consider the following:
- Make an appointment. Request an appointment with the instructor or visit during office hours. It is not advisable to discuss an accommodation request with an instructor in the brief time between classes.
- Verification to instructors. Present your accommodation letter when meeting with the instructor. If the instructor questions your need for accommodation or has questions you are not comfortable answering, encourage the instructor to contact ODS. Additionally, contact your accommodations specialist.
- Stay in communication. Students and instructors are encouraged to maintain in communication throughout the semester regarding accommodations. Do not assume that something is scheduled or taken care of, unless you have specifically discussed it with your instructor.
- Report problems to ODS. If problems arise which cannot be satisfactorily resolved between you and the instructor, contact ODS staff for assistance.