ODS Students with Peer Notes Accommodations
If peer note takers have been approved as part of your ODS accommodations, your accommodation letter will include note taker forms for your professor. Your professor will email you an invite to view a course notes folder on UA+Box, which will require you to log in to UA+Box. The note taker will upload notes to the folder throughout the semester.
Never used UA+Box?
Getting Started with UA Box – account registration through myBama
Instructions for Note Takers
If you have volunteered as a note taker in previous years, please be aware of the following changes made to the note taking process for students registered with The Office of Disability Services (ODS):
- All notes must be typed and/or saved into a PDF or Word document (NOT Pages), and upload notes to a course notes folder in UA+Box provided by the instructor. Name your file with the course number and date of the class (ex. UA-101-Notes-9-25-2015).
- Student volunteer note takers will now be reimbursed at a rate of $100.00 per course in which they provide notes, regardless of the number of students receiving notes in the course.
- Instead of turning in a paper note taker form to ODS, note takers MUST fill out and submit this online form: ODS In-Class Note Taker Information Form
(Note takers who submit the form after finals week will NOT be reimbursed.)
- This system will afford anonymity to students with disabilities. Therefore, contact between note takers and students receiving notes is unnecessary.
To qualify as a note taker, a student must:
- Attend class on a regular basis.
- Take clear, legible notes, save as a PDF or Word document (NOT Pages), and upload notes to a course notes folder in UA+Box provided by the instructor (you will receive an email invite).
- Upload notes regularly and in a timely manner (AT LEAST once a week).
Students who have been approved to receive notes as a disability-related accommodation are ineligible to serve as a designated note taker for other students with disabilities and, therefore, cannot be awarded a note taker stipend through ODS.