Setting up Note Taking Accommodations
If a student receives a peer note taker accommodation, the accommodation letter will include note taker forms for the instructor. The instructor will email an invite to view a course notes folder in UA Box, which will require that the students log in. The assigned note taker uploads notes to the folder throughout the semester.
- Instructors are responsible for creating a UA Box folder for the course notes and providing appropriate access to both the note taker and ODS students (see guides below).
- Add ODS Office Manager, Donna Marlowe to UA+Box folder as a co-owner.
- Instructors must complete the ODS In-Class Note Taker Information – Instructor form once per course in which ODS students(s) receive notes.
- Note taker reimbursement forms are required, and the form must be submitted by finals week for the note taker to be paid.
- Student volunteer note takers are reimbursed at a rate of $100.00 per course in which they provide notes.
- This system will afford anonymity to students with disabilities. Contact between note takers and students receiving notes is unnecessary.
Setting up UA Box Peer Notes
Never used UA Box before?
PDF Guide: Getting Started with UA Box – account setup through MyBama.
To qualify as a note taker, a student must:
- Attend class on a regular basis
- Take clear, legible notes, save as a PDF or Word document (NOT Pages), and upload notes to a course notes folder in UA Box provided by the instructor.
- Upload notes regularly and in a timely manner (AT LEAST once a week).
Students who have been approved to receive notes as a disability-related accommodation are ineligible to serve as a designated note taker for other students with disabilities and, therefore, cannot be awarded a note taker stipend through ODS.