Please be aware of the following changes made to the note taking process for students registered with The Office of Disability Services (ODS):
- Instructors are responsible for creating a UA+Box folder for the course notes and providing the appropriate access to both the note taker and ODS students (see guides below).
- With this new system, only one note taker per course is needed. Once a note taker is selected, that student must upload notes to the UA+Box course notes folder provided by the instructor.
- Instructors must complete the ODS In-Class Note Taker Information – Instructor form once per course in which ODS student(s) receive notes.
- Only one note taker reimbursement form is required per class, and the form must be submitted by finals week for the note taker to be paid.
- Student volunteer note takers will now be reimbursed at a rate of $100.00 per course in which they provide notes, regardless of the number students receiving notes in the course.
- This system will afford anonymity to students with disabilities. Therefore, contact between note takers and students receiving notes is unnecessary.
Setting Up UA+Box Peer Notes
Never used UA+Box before?
PDF Guide: Getting Started with UA+Box – account setup through myBama
Video Introduction: What is UA+Box?
To qualify as a note taker, a student must:
- Attend class on a regular basis.
- Take clear, legible notes, save as a PDF or Word document (NOT Pages), and upload notes to a course notes folder in UA+Box provided by the instructor (you will receive an email invite).
- Upload notes regularly and in a timely manner (AT LEAST once a week).
Students who have been approved to receive notes as a disability-related accommodation are ineligible to serve as a designated note taker for other students with disabilities and, therefore, cannot be awarded a note taker stipend through ODS.