Mobility, Systemic, or Chronic Illness-related Disabilities

Students requesting accommodations based upon mobility, systemic or disease-related disabilities must provide documentation from a physician familiar with their condition.  Documentation must be current: within the past 3 years for a high school student and within the past 5 years for an adult.  A school plan such as an IEP or 504 Accommodation Plan is insufficient documentation.

Documentation must include, but is not limited to, the following:

  1. a.  Clinical diagnosis.
    b.  Description of symptoms related to the diagnosis that the student experiences.
    c.  Date of original diagnosis, if known, and last contact with the student.
  2. Identification of the major life activity such as walking, learning, seeing, hearing, etc. affected by the student’s disability.  Information on how the disability presents a substantial limitation to this major life activity in the postsecondary setting must be included (how the student is limited functionally by the disability).
  3. Suggestions as to how the functionally limiting manifestations of the disabling condition(s) may be accommodated at the postsecondary level.  Include the rationale for these accommodations. *
  4. Information about any medications the student may be taking for the disabling condition that may affect the student’s ability to participate in an academic environment.  Medication cannot be used to imply a diagnosis.
  5. All reports must be in narrative form, typed, and signed by the physician.  Documentation must be submitted on the official letterhead of the professional diagnosing the disability.  Chart or clinic notes are not acceptable as documentation.


* A history of accommodations does not in itself warrant the provision of similar accommodations at UA. The final determination of appropriate and reasonable accommodation rests with the University of Alabama.


Please forward all documentation to:
Office of Disability Services
University of Alabama
1000 Houser Hall
Box 870185
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0185
(205) 348-0804 (FAX)

This document will be made available in alternative formats upon request. Please contact the Office of Disability Services, (205) 348-4285 (Voice) or (205) 348-3081 (TTY) for assistance.